|DELHI VISION |
ABOUT OUR NATIONAL PRESIDENT
DR. N. JAYAPRAKASH NARAYAN was educated to be a physician who joined the Indian Administrative Service in the aftermath of the emergency and failure of the janata experiment. He topped the IAS exam. During his 16 years of public service in various capacities, he acquired a formidable reputation in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS WITHIN GOVERNMENT
- As joint collector, he worked for the speedy rehabilitation of 8000 youth from displaced families of visakhapatnam steel plant
- As collector of prakasm of district, he was instrumental in the creation of a record 2,00,000 acres of irrigation , the largest such program with direct participation of people
- As collector of east godavari district, he spearheaded the reconstruction of drainage and irrigation network in krishna and godavari deltas.
- He served as secretary to both governor and chief minister of andhra pradesh.
- He worked on strengthening of the credit cooperatives and making them independent of government control.
HIS OTHER ACCOMPLISHMENTS INCLUDE SEVERAL MAJOR POLICY INITIATIVES SUCH AS
- Empowerment of parents in schools
- Speedy justice through rural courts
- Economic reform and restructuring of ap
- Development of the infocity in hyderabad
- The much-acclaimed law for self reliant cooperatives (1995)
- Empowerment of local governments and stakeholders
In spite of an impressive personal achievement, dr narayan's experience in government convinced him that faulty governance process was the biggest hurdle to progress & development in India and Indians achieving greater success. And what India needed was a fundamental change in the rules of the game instead of a periodic change of players.
In order to translate his vision into reality, he resigned from service (IAS) in 1996, and worked with like-minded colleagues for the formation of Lok Satta Andolan and is currently its national coordinator. LOK SATTA has now emerged in India as a leading civil society initiative for governance reforms. It has wide reach, name recognition, credibility and passive support of about 20% of the population of Andhra Pradesh. Lok Satta is now spreading out in other states of India. State-level initiatives are encouraged based on Lok Satta's experience. These initiatives in a few major states will then build a common platform for national effort for governance reform. LOK SATTA is primarily focusing on New Delhi, Maharashtra, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Orissa and Gujarat in this quest for building a national platform.
DR. NARAYAN HAS BEEN FELICITATED WITH SEVERAL AWARDS
"ROTARY MANAV SEVA AWARD 2002" for his crusade against corruption
"YUDHVIR MEMORIAL AWARD 2002" for his outstanding contribution to the cause of good governance.
"DR.RUSTAM D.RANJI ROTARY AWARD" by rotary club of india, september.
"D. CH.TIRUPATHI RAJU MEMORIAL AWARD 2004" in appreciation of his vision in terms of identifying the need of establishing a people's forum like lok satta and further developmental work done by it to bring in sustainable measures in the area of democratic governance .
"DR.PINNAMANENI SITA DEVI FOUNDATION AWARD"
"BHARAT ASMITA JANA JAGRAN SHRESHTA" - A BHARAT ASMITA NATIONAL AWARD BY MIT SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, PUNE IN RECOGNITION AS THE BEST PERFORMER IN THE AREA OF PUBLIC AWAKENING, FEBRUARY.
FELICITATED BY THE HYDERABAD SOFTWARE EXPORTERS ASSOCIATION, HYDERABAD IN RECOGNITION FOR HIS CONTRIBUTION TO THE GROWTH OF IT INDUSTRY IN ANDHRA PRADESH AND HIS EFFORTS TOWARDS USHERING DEMOCRATIC REFORMS IN THE COUNTRY, FEBRUARY.
DR JAYAPRAKASH NARAYAN HAS SERVED ON THE FOLLOWING PANELS
- THE NATIONAL ADVISORY COUNCIL (NAC) CONSTITUTED BY THE UNITED PROGRESSIVE ALLIANCE GOVERNMENT TO ADVISE THE GOVERNMENT ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NATIONAL COMMON MINIMUM PROGRAMME, JULY 2004-AUGUST 2006.
- VIGILANCE ADVISORY COUNCIL CONSTITUTED BY THE CENTRAL VIGILANCE COMMISSION, NOVEMBER,2004.
- SECOND ADMINISTRATIVE REFORMS COMMISSION CONSTITUTED BY THE GOVERNMENT OF INDIA UNDER THE CHAIRMANSHIP OF VEERAPPA MOILY, SEPTEMBER 2005.
IN 2006, HE INITIATED THE LAUNCH OF LOK SATTA PARTY A MOVEMENT FOR NEW POLITICAL CULTURE IN THE STATE OF ANDHRA PRADESH AND IS SERVING AS ITS PRESIDENT.
LOK SATTA MILESTONES
- CANDIDATE DISCLOSURE (1999)
- VOTER ROLLS AND REGISTRATION
- POLITICAL FUNDING REFORM – 2003
- LIMITING SIZE OF COUNCIL OF MINISTERS – THE CONSTITUTION (91ST AMENDMENT ACT), 2003
- ANTI-DEFECTION PROVISIONS
- RIGHT TO INFORMATION ACT – 2005 (MKSS & LOK SATTA)
- CITIZEN’S CHARTER BILL
- NATIONAL RURAL HEALTH MISSION -2005
- INDIRECT TAXATION REFORMS
- LOCAL COURTS LAW – FR SPEEDY JUSTICE
- STRENGHTENING OF CO-OPERATIVE SOCITIES – THE CONSTITUTION(97TH AMENDMENT ACT), 2011
- JUDICIAL REFORM MODEL – A NATIONAL JUDICIAL COMMISSION & INDIAN JUDICIAL SERVICE (BY JUSTICE VENKATACHALIAH, JS VERMA, VR KRISHNA IYER & LOKSATTA)
LOK SATTA PARTY believes that sustained and effective development is possible if we begin thinking like a developed nation. Our plan for NEW DELHI/DELHI must be:
• PEOPLE’S PARTY – PEOPLE CENTRIC POLITICS. Peoples issues and concerns must occupy centre stage
• INCLUSIVE – must benefit all residents of new delhi/delhi irrespective of origin, religion, language and caste
• PLAN FOR TOMORROW – address the future population growth trends and plan accordingly
• GOVERNANCE – the role and functions of governance machinery must be rationalised while developing a plan to avoid bureaucracy & red tapism and to ensure flexibility. It must give a greater say to citizens.
• IMPLEMENTATION ON THE PRINCIPLE OF E.A.T. – Efficiency, Accountability and Transparency
• HUMAN EXCELLENCE – goal of every citizen as a holistic entity entitled to comprehensive wellness and full actualisation of individual potentials.
• EMPLOYMENT – For economic prosperity.
• PEOPLE’S PARTY –
• BASIC FACILITIES – WORK TOWARDS ENSURING MINIMAL LEVEL OF FACILITIES WHICH INCLUDE:
o Food through efficient pds for all sections of society – we will strive to deliver good quality food grains through the public distribution system for everyone.
o WATER – CLEAN AND PURE 24X7
o MEDICAL & HEALTH
o SECURE LAW & ORDER
o BETTER ROADS & EFFECTIVE COMMUTING FACILITIES
• FULL STATEHOOD FOR DELHI
• CREATE A MODEL CITY – STRONG & SECURE SOCIETY
• 3 C’S – CLEANLINESS, COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT & ANTI-CORRUPTION
• STRONG JAN LOKPAL & CITIZEN’S CHARTER
• EMPOWERMENT & EMPLOYMENT TO YOUTH/EMPLOYABLE WIDOWS & SENIOR CITIZENS
• DECENTRALISATION/DEVOLUTION OF POWER – MCD
• RATIONALISED AND MINIMISE TAXES
• GOVERNMENT AT DOOR STEP OF SOCIETY THROUGH WEEKLY MEETINGS IN EACH SECTOR OF DELHI
• REVIVAL OF YAMUNA
• PEOPLE ‘S PARTY - LOK SATTA is a citizen’s party. It is our duty to make the citizens realise that we are the custodians of our beautiful city on behalf of the future generations and preserve /optimize usage of all resources accordingly. Build and maintain systems that ensure that power is delivered in the hands of capable people. Also maintain continued answerability of those in office through institutionalized mechanisms for increased citizen participation in governance. This can be done by:
o Advocate political parties be subject to RTI
o FOSTER LEADERSHIP: provide opportunity for grass-root leadership to take root and enable capable leaders to enter politics
o TACKLE CORRUPTION (COLLUSIVE AND EXTORTIONARY) which inhibits participation of best intentioned people from contributing to society
• PROMOTION OF YOUNG LEADERSHIP – LOK SATTA wants to empower the youth/employable widows & senior citizens of our country as will bring freshness, technology, idealism, innovation, energy and scientific spirit
• DECENTRALISATION – our government will hold public meetings periodically and resolve problems of the public on the spot.
• RIGHT PEOPLE FOR THE RIGHT JOB – recruit qualified and non-corrupt people to head critical functions which affect the daily lives of citizens like water, electricity, food etc.
o POLITICIANS TO PROVIDE ONLY MACRO PICTURE – We should have specialists in government who will be responsible for time bound execution.
o CREATE A POOL OF UPRIGHT OFFICERS TO ADMINISTER – we should always have a pool of clean and honest civil servants who will take the city in the right direction.
o HAVE A RIGHT MIXTURE OF GOOD CIVIL SERVANTS, CIVIL SOCIETY REPRESENTATIVES AND POLITICIANS TO GOVERN THE CITY THEREBY MAKING IT A TRUE PEOPLE’S GOVERNMENT.
o COMPENSATION FOR THE CIVIL SERVANTS AT PAR WITH PRIVATE SECTOR TO ATTRACT GOOD TALENT AND MOTIVATE THEM TO PERFORM.
• TIME BOUND PROGRAMME WITH FULL PARTICIPATION OF CIVIL SOCIETY – Lokpal, Citizen Charter Bill and other initiatives will assure the citizen of timely delivery of governance
• ALL GOVERNMENT OFFICES SHOULD BE UNDER SECURITY CAMERA – all key government departments will have security cameras to enforce transparency.
• NO NEW TAXES FOR THE NEXT FIVE YEARS
o We will not raise taxes but ensure that proper collection is done.
o We will reduce taxes/vat on fuel to 4% from the existing levels for the people.
o Any efficient tax recovery so that state coffers are not empty.
o Cleanse the government and have upright officers for the recovery.
o Will ensure NO harassment to the citizens in the tax recovery drive.
o Sales tax, vat, entertainment tax, building/property to be digitized.
• ENSURE NO SELLING OF ADULTERATED FOOD AND MEDICINES – Will demand maximum punishment for people involved in selling or dealing with adulterated or spurious food & medicines etc. Will legislate if current rules prove inadequate.
• REGULARISE UNAUTHORISED COLONIES AND PROVIDE ALL FACILITIES – Will regularize all unauthorized colonies and provide all facilities to the residents of those colonies.
• FOOD THROUGH EFFICIENT PDS FOR ALL SECTIONS OF SOCIETY – Every individual has the right to access food through the pds system. Ensure corruption free distribution by involving employable senior citizens & women apart from unemployed youth.
o RATION SHOPS TO BE OPENED IN ALL LOCALITIES – As the friendly neighbourhood kirana store. We will also enact legislation to open new stores/ration shops with the help of private sector to sell food articles at fair prices.
o SAFAL STORES – Negotiate with Mother Dairy to operate SAFAL stores in all areas to provide vegetables at fair prices to all sections of society.
o Implement new plans to involve dsiidc, state agro corporation to open new stores/shops to sell vegetables and food articles at fair prices.
• WATER – CLEAN AND PURE 24X7 – Commitment towards providing free, clean and unpolluted water to all it’s citizens. Remove regular tankers supply which should be there only for emergency and breakdown. Guarantee to ensure 24x7 evolve through dialogue with Central Government. Delhi Jal Board(DJB) to be strengthened and use of modern technology to provide clean water to all households. New projects to convert unpotable water into pure clean water will be taken up on priority.
o Free good quality water to all citizens – residential
o All water bodies in DELHI to be revived
o YAMUNA to be cleaned and become major source of water for Delhi with all polluting industries to divert their waste away from Yamuna
o All canals will be revived and become source for fresh water storage
o Establish more water treatment plants for the citizens
o Establish more sewage treatment plants
o Delhi Jal Board(DJB) to be under and accountable to mcd
o Water distribution system to be reworked for equitable distribution to all areas
o Requirement of adoption of rain water harvesting technique especially for all new construction especially for commercial establishments, apartment complexes and co-operating housing societies
• ELECTRICITY – To ensure uninterrupted electricity supply for all citizens and proper maintenance of feeder transformers in localities so that public at large is not harassed. Will seek ways to increase generation including solar energy by installing solar panels on naalas.
o Current demand is 4200mw and Delhi’s share is 5400mw in the projects. Cost of electricity is not more than rs.3/unit and we propose as under:
Sector will be thrown open to private sector to provide electricity with no limitations as trading in electricity is permitted
Consumer will be free to choose their service provider
Electricity prices will be rationalised.
Any service provider will be encouraged to provide services within the regulatory framework of the government
No protection will be given to any existing player
• LAW & ORDER – LOK SATTA BELIVES a fundaqmental prerequisite of a civilized society is a strong law and order and protection of citizens is basic. We will have effective policing and friendly force. Zero Tolerance for crime such as eve teasing, rape, murders etc. Strengthen the exisiting police network with the help of central government and also initiate discussions to put the Delhi Police under the full control of NCR government. Security cameras to be installed at all major intersections, markets, roads to control criminal activity.
Modernise and technologically upgrade Police systems/equipment
Demand police to be reverted to state from centre
Atleast 30% of DCP posts will be women
30% of posts in the SHO category will be reserved for women
Security cameras to be installed at all major intersections, markets, roads to prevent any criminal activity.
Police reforms as per supreme court guidelines to humanize the police
Upgrade traffic system using technology
• HEALTH & MEDICAL – strong society has to be free from diseases and should have affordable medical facilities within reach of all.
o ESTABLISH A TRAUMA CENTRE IN EACH ASSEMBLY CONSTITUENCY
o Ensure all government primary and secondary healthcare are at par with private sector and citizens make good use of them.
o All hospitals and clinics private or government will be clean, sanitized and full facility.
o They will have sufficient safeguards to prevent fire and other calamities.
o Implement mobile clinics which will go to wards and dispense with primary medical facilities so that load is reduced on hospitals. Mobile clinics will be operated by the hospitals.
o Dispensary to be more effective and within reach of common man
o We will build new facilities and upgrade exisiting hospitals to high standards to ensure a minimum population to doctor ratio
• EDUCATION – education is also important for confident citizens and our future leaders and we are committed to ensure complete education for all for economic self sufficiency and a sense of well being and personal evolution to achieve full potential.
o RIGHT TO EDUCATION(RTE) ACT will be applicable upto CLASS X
o We will strengthen the existing network and build new schools for the children upto Class XII in each ward so that they do not have to travel big distances for good and quality education.
o New colleges in both government and private sector will be encouraged to provide quality education for all.
o We will ensure minimum 85% reservation in du colleges for delhi students
o We will encourage all colleges to operate two shifts i.e. morning and day/evening to create more seats for students
o Create tourist police to manage major entry and exit routes, tourist places – this is a priority as we believe that our city has great potential for tourism industry. Induct educated youth/employable widows & senior citizens who will be responsible for serving the tourists who visit the city and prevent their harassment. Also serve as a compliment to Delhi police
o Grow the HOHO BUS network so that tourists can make full use of the same.
o All tourist guides to be trained by state government and provided all facilities to communicate with tourists to make sightseeing a pleasant experience.
o Musical programmes in parks and open areas in winter for public entertainment.
o Shops and department stores to be open till 10pm for convenience of tourists and local public and to create a night life.
Tourist police for Delhi state to create employment for minimum 15000 youth
Increase in number of pds shops to create employment for 10000 youth/employable widows & senior citizens
Create jobs for about 50,000 youth in police
Will use SAFAL route for dispensing pds food creating employment for youth/employable widows & senior citizens
• TRANSPORTATION FACILITIES – ensure seamless connectivity in city to ensure optimisation of eco activity & citizen facilitation:
o METRO – To be expanded to cover all routes/destinations both residential and tourist.
DTC as well as private operators will be allowed to operate on routes with full respect for safety and passenger comfort.
New buses will be requisitioned and deployed for the public. We will ensure average life of buses to be 5-6years and all old buses will be phased out.
Strengthen the existing network and increase frequency.
We will ensure that more public use the public transport system to ease burden on the roads and lower pollution.
To implement the rule of even and odd numbers during the day of week to further ease congestion on roads.
BRT’s to be approved only where widening of the road is possible by providing 3lanes on each side for cars, 1 lane for 2 & 3 wheelers
o TAXIS AND AUTOS
Ensure that taxis and autos do not over charge the customers. All taxis and autos to be fitted with functional meters and GPS for security of driver and passenger to be provided by state government at low nominal cost.
Create more private participation to ensure good service to citizens and job opportunity for people.
Streamlining of traffic and technologically modernize traffic scene & planning
• MUNICIPAL CORPORATION OF DELHI
o Will be strengthened and allocation will be increased as per requirement. Mcd to be in the forefront of clean & green Delhi.
o MCD will undertake developmental projects viz. Sanitation, cleanliness, parking
o SANITATION – ENHANCE THE PIPE NETWORK & INFRASTRUCTURE - cleanliness and clean environment are fundamental to the growth of any large city. Lok satta has put special emphasis on clean localities and will ensure garbage removal, sanitation and prevent water logging which is the cause of major diseases. Initiate private participation to ensure complete cleanliness through MCD and councillors.
o Water to be under the municipal corporation
o PARKING – we will create/upgrade parking facilities in wards and major shopping centres. MCD will ensure adequate parking facilities in commercial establishment to prevent spillage on road.
• BETTER ROADS – For economic welfare of city good roads is a necessity.
o Ensure roads are built and maintained by companies who can guarantee major roads are free from all damage for atleast 20years.
o Road and flyovers, fob’s, footpaths are the life of a thriving city and we will ensure best facilities for our citizens.
o Flyovers will be reassessed for upgradation and periodically new flyovers will be build to ease congestion.
• FIRE SERVICES –
o Ensure fire services fully equipped with latest equipment and gadgets are present in each locality to minimize loss of life and render quick services/response. We will put priority to secure best equipment for this department.
o All buildings, hospitals and structures will have clearly defined areas for safety and will be accessible by fire services in case of emergency. No building should lack fire safety endangering lives of common man.
o Create adequate stations to provide service in fastest possible time.
o Access in congested areas to be provided
o Fire safety audit of all areas in NCR
o Strong emphasis on healthy and soothing environment
o Green area and park development – though responsibility of the MCD and councilors, state government will provide all help in increasing green area of the city. We will ensure minimum 1.00million trees are planted every year and all open spaces will be kept/beautified. Will strive to increase open space and green areas by 10%.
o All construction sites to be covered to prevent dust and spillage. Malba to be removed periodically from sites. Charges to be levied for removal.
o All trucks entering or plying the city with dusty cargos should be covered by tarpauline to prevent spillage and dust on road.
o Fumigation of wards to be done regularly to prevent disease especially during monsoon with natural pesticides & insecticides.
o Ban on usage of hazardous chemicals and replacement with bio-degradable products.
For a thriving society entertainment is a must and lok satta will strive to provide good and wholesome entertainment to familes and create dilli haats and other recreation centres for the public.
• FDI IN RETAIL – LOK SATTA PARTY WELCOMES FDI IN RETAIL WITH THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS TO BE MET BY ALL:
o Store size to be minimum 50,000sq. Ft.
o Companies should not indulge in shadow marketing
o If any company or organisation is caught violating the rules they will be punished:
All assets of the foreign company will be seized
All assets of the india partner in this company and group company will be seized/confiscated and the promoters and key personnel will be put behind bars
• SPORTS FACILITIES
o We will throw open all stadiums and facilities for the public and upkeep them at international standards.
o Create proper training facilities to be imparted to budding sportspersons.
o We will strive to promote sports and encourage budding sportspersons to excel in their field benefitting the country. We will take help from private sector to promote sports and training facilities for sportspersons.
o Leading retired sportspersons excelled in their fields will be at the forefront of this programme.
o No stadium to be permitted to be used or activities other than sports
TAKE GOVERNANCE TO SOCIETY
• HOLD WEEKLY MEETINGS AT ALL LOCALITIES REPRESENTED BY LOCAL MLA, COUNCILLOR AND EXECUTIVE
o LOK SATTA strongly believes that governance is not done in offices but within public.
o Empower local wards by making them independent financially. The wards should select their projects and finance them in line with gram sabha’s.
o Key areas will be health, water conservation, greenery
o Resolve problems on the site and instantly – local problems of citizens to be resolved through regular meetings in public places
• IT TO BE AT FOREFRONT OF THIS CHANGE –
o Digitisation of all records a priority on internet viz. Issue of ration cards, birth certificates, death certificates etc.
o E-governance to be fully functional and robust – citizen should not be required to visit offices for small issues
• DEDICATED TV CHANNEL(S) COVERING ALL ASPECTS OF GOVERNANCE CREATING TRANSPARENCY AND PREVENT CORRUPTION.
o We will invite tv channels to help us in governance and prevention of corruption
o Current tv channels will be asked to open “hamari delhi” channel which will be beamed on all networks.
• STRONG & EFFECTIVE CITIZEN CHARTER PROGRAMME
o In line with lok satta vision of corrupt free government and people in the forefront we will have a strong citizen charter bill
• STRONG JAN LOKPAL BILL COVERING ALL MINISTERS INCLUDING CHIEF MINISTER, ALL GOVERNMENT OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES.
ACTIVITIES OF DELHI UNIT:
• SUBMITTED A MEMORANDUM TO HOME MINISTER ON 21/12/2012 ON THE NIRBHAYA/DAMINI GANG RAPE ISSUE ON POLICE REFORMS & LAW AND ORDER CONDITION
• SIGNATURE CAMPAIGN CUM PROTEST AGAINST PRICE RISE ON FUEL ON 19TH MAY 2012 AT PREET VIHAR AND COLLECTED 5000 SIGNATURES – FIRST CAMPAIGN BY ANY PARTY IN DELHI
• SIGNATURE CAMPAIGN CUM PROTEST AGAINST PRICE RISE ON FUEL ON 9TH JUNE 2012 AT PREET VIHAR AND COLLECTED 6000 SIGNATURES
• SUBMITTED A PETITION TO STATE ELECTION COMMISSIONER ON ELECTORAL REFORMS IN MCD ELECTIONS
• PART OF THE TEAM WHICH MADE PRESENTATION TO THE RAJYA SABHA SELECT COMMITTEE ON JAN LOKPAL
• FILED A PIL IN DELHI HIGH COURT ON ELECTORAL REFORMS WITH FAVOURABLE ORDERS CONTESTED THE MCD ELECTIONS 2012 ON 5 SEATS
• WE WERE THE FIRST POLITICAL PARTY WHOSE CANDIDATES SIGNED AN ANTI-CORRUPTION PLEDGE IN AN INITIATIVE TAKEN BY TRANSPARENCY INTERNATIONAL & HINDUSTAN TIMES
• ORGANISED EYE CAMPS IN SEELAMPUR, GEETA COLONY, PREET VIHAR, CHATARPUR AND VASANT KUNJ
• PARTICIPATED AND SUBMITTED VIEWS IN THE PUBLIC HEARING ORGANISED BY DELHI ELECTRCITY REGULATORY COMMISSION(DERC)
• SUBMITTED A MEMORANDUM TO HOME MINISTER ON THE GANDHI NAGAR RAPE ISSUE
• ORGANISED PUBLIC MEETINGS IN BEGUMPUR, OKHLA, CHATTARPUR, BADARPUR
• PARTICIPATED IN THE NATIONAL REFORM SUMMIT AT HARIDWAR